Friday, May 01, 2009

Where do I begin?


For some reason, for some time now, I’ve been shying away from journaling my experience to date, so far in Ghana. I guess I didn’t know where to start documenting my experiences – seems that it should have an explanation of how I got to where I am today, however, how far do I go, to set the stage? So here’s a short summary of my journey to Ghana.

I woke up one morning feeling like I’d just had an epiphany. I’d been having particularly depressing days full of busy work activity and very little time to spend on issues for my mother who had been calling me from Ghana. I felt torn, and not able to adequately address all my responsibilities, and subsequently felt terrible. On top of that, I’d just eaten something the day before that had caused me to have a severe upset tummy. So it was amidst all this that I just found myself with my epiphany – I needed to leave it all behind and do what I’ve always wanted to do. For ages, I’d been living a life based on my perception of the accomplishments that would meet the societal measure of success: work hard, work well, aim to be promoted, and above all else, make sure to be rewarded financially.

I guess there’s nothing wrong with that kind of life mission, however, the important factor that is usually not added to the formula is to do all this for the things in life that you’re passionate about. Without that important factor of passion, I believe that I was only living an android’s life, just mechanically fulfilling some basic life tasks (no matter how complex or skillfully) just to make it through the day towards a solid, stable paycheck. I took pleasure in seeing that my savings balances were steadily increasing, as my debt got completely wiped out. These are all solid goals – to be able to live a debt-free life, with a savings plan to help me maintain a roof over my head, and meals to sustain me during the times that I cannot count on an income to keep me going. However, if the paycheck comes at the expense of living out a more fulfilling life in which I’m taking every opportunity possible to satisfy my life passions and contribute to society, then every cent that is added to my bank balance provides an inequality in my spiritual life balance, and will act as though I have an increasing debt that is sucking away from the very balance that I’m taking so much pleasure in.

I finally came to the realization that perhaps what this bank balance can provide is a safety net to allow me to gingerly take those steps to free myself from within the gilded birdcage from which I find myself, so that I can start living a life in which I am fulfilling my passions. I’m hoping that I’m starting down a very exciting road – I don’t know what is coming around the corner, but I know where I’d like to start, and am open to whatever comes. I believe that I’ve helped myself get to a point in life from where I have many options available to me. I just need to choose and get going down my passion-filled journey. And so here I am, in Ghana. Spending the first 2 months of my passion-filled journey with my mother and my grandmother. Trying to absorb as much of their wisdom, love, care, and humour as I can to take with me as I continue down the road to my next stop. Choo-choo – all aboard! ☺

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home