Saturday, August 09, 2008

We have so many metaphors for life around us, that it’s still amazing to see us blindly frolicking around, ignorant, and almost innocently going through our fateful, yet unknown walks of life. I did say 'almost innocently' didn't I? That's because some of our actions show how deliberate and planful we are. Sure, we say we don't know what happens to us when we die...we're blissfully unaware of the circumstances that exist after our passing...in the world that we leave, and the body that we disinherit.

I bought some sweet potatoes a while ago, and of course, there were a couple left that we didn't get to cook. They started growing buds, and then stalks and leaves. So I got to thinking...instead of going ahead and trying to cut out the buds and cook these potatoes,

why not see what happens when I try to grow them? I mean I've seen this happen countless times, and I've either ignored the potatoes to the point where they are shriveled up and have to be thrown out...or I actually do cut them up and cook them and then, throw them out!

So I searched online for how to grow sweet potatoes – I didn't think you could just take the whole potato and replant the thing! Yes, I'm a bit less green than that! I was amazed happy to find out that you really could plant these - I mean it makes sense, since there were actual stalks and leaves coming from them, just from lying in a basket in my warm kitchen! I cut the potato up around the stalks - got about 10 pieces that are called "potato seeds", and you're supposed to leave them out in the open to calcify just so they have some protection from water, etc. once you plant them. Did all that, and found a pot to put them in (I wanted to grow them organically, and didn't have time to create a plant box).

Well, what do you know...I was amazed at how quickly it is growing - can you believe my tiny little potato cutlings, from a potato that was lying in a basket in my kitchen, and was a candidate for the trashcan...fast forward to day, is the gorgeously blooming, and leafy plant below?



What other metaphor for life do you need to see? I get the message loudly and clearly! Show the world what you're capable of, put the message out there for what you want to achieve, you'll need help, of course, since you can't do it all on your own. Once you get that help, tenuously take root, and hold on and push hard, work hard, live hard to continue your dream. You may not succeed this time around, but this is a learning that is not for waste...the next time around, you and the forces around you will be stronger and more tenuous...that can only breed success...and some delicious sweet potatoes!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home